Today, Mount Athos is home to 20 monasteries with over 2,000 monks from Greece and many other countries. Located on the third peninsula they live an ascetic life isolated from the rest of the world following the ancient byzantine time.
Byzantine time is an old method of keeping time that is now mostly extinct. Hour 0 begins daily at sunset. Due to seasonal variations in the length of a day, hour zero can vary by several hours throughout the year. It is now used in very few places. The Athonite monasteries feature a rich collection of well-preserved artifacts, rare books, ancient documents, and artworks of immense historical value.
Unfortunately there is an old and outdated rule in place in Mount Athos, and that is that no women are allowed on the peninsula, so we had to admire the mountain from a distance..
6 Photography tips for beach photos:
- Use a UV filter to protect your lense, especially near the sea and sandy beaches.
- The lense works as a magnifying glass on the sensor and can create permanent damage, so try to keep the sun out of your frame.
- Protect your equipment from the sand if you don’t have a dust/water proof camera.
- Get as much cover as possible before you change lenses on your camera to avoid getting sand,salt or dust on the sensor. It is also wise to clean the lenses every day to avoid getting those annoying spots in your photos.
- To get a great photo of the beach, try to find the highest spot behind the bach and take some panoramas.
- If you see some fun creatures that you want to photograph, it can be a good idea to use your zoom lense and take the photo as quick as possible, as some of these little ones are fairly quick on their feets…
All the best, good luck and remember to feel good about what you do.